Exclusive: Military magazine spoofs 'Harry Potter'
February 3, 2005 at 11:59 AM ET
preventive maintenance monthly, harry potter spoof, military cartoon
In May 2004, the U.S. Army's official Preventive Maintenance Monthly, a cartoon magazine that instructs soldiers how to take care of their military equipment, published a humourous eight-page spoof of the Harry Potter world.
Army officials visit Mogmorts and learn from Professor Rumbledoore and his staff about proper maintenance techniques for magical gear, including brooms, wands and cauldrons (tip: "PM" in the cartoon stands for "preventive maintenance"):
- Pooof! (the cover)
- Page 1: Watch for crossing elves
- Page 2: Hello, Madame Houche...
- Page 3: Using a dry wand...
- Page 4: Good morning, Professor Snappy...
- Page 5: "A fact you've yet to learn, Longshanks"
- Page 6: Farewell...
- Page 7: It appears that even magic needs good PM
- The End: So you'd like to fly, would you?
Many thanks to Army weekend reservist Greg for sending us a copy last year, and sorry for taking so long to post!
UPDATE: This has now become the focus of a possible copyright infringement charge by JK Rowling's representatives and Warner Bros. against the U.S. Army. We'll keep you posted.