Aid needed to finish Braille Potter 5 edition
July 3, 2003 at 9:34 AM ET
HPANA (via HPforGrownups)
"The world is moved not only by
the mighty shoves of the heroes,
but also by the aggregate of the
tiny pushes of each honest worker."
-- Helen Keller
Below you will find details on how you can help the National Braille Press make their edition of OotP. If you cannot volunteer your time, please consider supporting the efforts of the NBP or People Making a Difference through Community Service by visiting their websites and finding how you can make charitable donations to these non-profits.
ATTENTION HARRY POTTER FANS AND LITERACY SUPPORTERS
SAT 7/26 PMD VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY
- Collate, stitch, and box the braille version of HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX, the fifth book in J.K. Rowling's series
- Saturday, July 26, 10 AM to 3 PM
- National Braille Press, Boston (two blocks behind Symphony Hall)
- The guiding purposes of the National Braille Press are to promote the literacy of blind children through braille and to enable blind people to better participate in work, family, and civic affairs through information. NBP makes available braille
publications to blind people for the same prices that sighted people pay for print publications. NBP needs help collating, checking, stitching, and boxing 500 copies so that blind readers will purchase the newest Harry Potter book almost as quickly as sighted readers will purchase the print version.
Note: 13 braille volumes make up one complete copy of this book, which is 870 print pages.
These activities require repetitive hand and arm motions while standing, so are not recommended for people with repetitive stress injuries or carpal tunnel syndrome and/or who lack sufficient stamina to work on their feet.
- Get involved! 30 volunteers are needed for the entire project time span, 10 AM to 3 PM. To participate, send e-mail to lori AT pmd.org or call 617-282-7177 before 7/17 and give ALL THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
- Your complete name
- Your complete USPS mailing address
- Your evening and daytime phone#s
- Your email, cell#, and fax# if you have them
- Specify whether you would like parking. (Parking is extremely limited, just two spaces. Parking will only be reserved for the first two people who sign up to participate and request parking.)
- This project site is easily accessible by the MBTA's Green and Orange subway lines and the #1 and CT1 bus lines. Incomplete submissions cannot be honored. After you sign-up, PMD will send/email specific information the week before the project, including directions to the project site by public transit (and car for the first two people who receive confirmation of reserved parking spaces), how to prepare, what to expect, and a waiver form.
- People Making a Difference through Community Service (PMD) is a nonprofit organization that promotes responsible volunteerism by involving people in meaningful, hands-on work that meets local needs and by assisting companies in building successful volunteer programs that also:
- Produce appreciable results while conserving recipients' limited resources
- Educate volunteers about broader issues
- Bring people together to make a difference.
People Making a Difference through Community Service (PMD)
P.O. Box 120189
Boston, MA 02112-0189
lori AT pmd.org