'GoF' reigns supreme in the UK
December 22, 2005 at 6:33 PM ET
harry potter and the goblet of fire, goblet of fire
With 2006 just around the corner, the most successful film in the UK for 2005 was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The movie, having been in release for nearly six weeks, has garnered £43 million about £5 million more than the second placed movie Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.
- The top10 movies in the UK were:
- 1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (£43m)
- 2. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (£39.3m)
- 3. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (£37.3m)
- 4. Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (£31.8m)
- 5. War of the Worlds (£30.5m)
- 6. Meet the Fockers (£28.6m)
- 7. Madagascar (£22.6m)
- 8. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (£20.5m)
- 9. Hitch (£17.3m)
- 10. Nanny McPhee (£16.3m)
Last year's number one movie in the UK was Shrek 2, which made £48 million followed by Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban with £46 million.
On this side of the Atlantic Revenge of the Sith is currently at the number one position with $380 million. Goblet of Fire is in second place with $254.4 million.